Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo branch:
Project Souza Family
Account number 186-527-1579
Or you can mail a check to
Souza Family
PO Box 28272
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

This blog was created by friends as a way for the Souzas to share Taylor's progress with us. Kristen and Sean have not asked for financial help, but their medical bills coupled with Kristen's loss of income is truly overwhelming. They are so appreciative of ALL of the different types of support they have received and are more grateful than you can know. Thank you!
Taylor is a beautiful, vibrant three-year-old girl who was recently diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. On June 18th, Taylor began an 8-10 month hospital stay. This blog will detail her journey back to good health!


Monday, August 10, 2009

Hello all - Happy Monday to all of you!! I hope you had a great weekend. We had a crazy weekend. I didn't make it home until Sunday and spent all day Sunday at home with Savannah. Taylor had an OK weekend but was very tired and continued to have no appetite. Currently she has lost 1 1/2 pounds since Friday (which a lot for someone her size). When I got back to the hospital today she has come down with 2 mouth sores and EXTREMELY swollen gums. So....that is why she isn't eating. The oncologist also thinks she might have sores in her esophagus. She is at least drinking some milk and will eat a little yogurt. I ended up having to have the nurses give her a dose of Morphine today because her mouth hurt so bad. She was crying and miserable. The morphine helped with the pain but she still wouldn't eat. At this time, we are just going to monitor her weight loss and see if she can maintain where she is at. Her temperature also spiked up today to just below a fever....so we are praying she makes it through the night without spiking. Her blood counts continue to be ZERO!!! Will she ever go up???? The answer to this question, is yes, but we just don't know when. They told me today that the average length of stay for Round 2 is 35 days!! We are on day 20 so think we have a long couple weeks ahead of us. I keep hoping (like last round) that she will rebound quickly and we will be home.....we will see!!!

So....all in all, it was an OK weekend but she really isn't feeling well today!! I am back home tonight so that I can take Savannah to school tomorrow (first day) and I will be working Tuesday and Wednesday. I will post more later but have a ton of work to catch up on right now.

Thanks,
Kristen and Taylor

5 comments:

  1. Ah poor Taylor, mouth sores, swollen gums, no eating geez chemo sucks. I hope her counts start to go up soon and you can get out of that place. Have fun taking Savannah to her first day of school tommorrow...so glad you get to be there for that.
    You continue to amaze me Kristen, keep up your strength and faith!
    XOXO
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I'm so excited for Savannah starting the 3's class!! If you take pictures I'm happy to post them for you. We're not leaving town until Wednesday morning.

    I'm really missing Tay because she always makes me feel like a rock star when she sees me. Tell her I love her sooo much!!

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen!
    UGH! I am so sorry that Taylor feels yucky...mouth sores have got to be the worst! We will keep praying for those levels to come up so she can come home for her break! I hope you enjoyed your day with Savannah yesterday...you are amazing!
    xoxo
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I just stopped by to catch up and to let you know I am thinking of all of you, especially you, Taylor. I'm sending postive thoughts your way all the time! I hope you had a chance to play with you Dora puzzle, I know it was pretty big! If there is anything you need please let me know.
    Take care,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean and Kristen,
    I continue to pray for Taylor every day... She is handling this second round like a real trooper, I am sorry to hear that she is not feeling so well this week. Given her strength, i am certain this will turn around quickly! Your in my thoughts and prayers,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete