Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo branch:
Project Souza Family
Account number 186-527-1579
Or you can mail a check to
Souza Family
PO Box 28272
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

This blog was created by friends as a way for the Souzas to share Taylor's progress with us. Kristen and Sean have not asked for financial help, but their medical bills coupled with Kristen's loss of income is truly overwhelming. They are so appreciative of ALL of the different types of support they have received and are more grateful than you can know. Thank you!
Taylor is a beautiful, vibrant three-year-old girl who was recently diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. On June 18th, Taylor began an 8-10 month hospital stay. This blog will detail her journey back to good health!


Sunday, August 16, 2009

Well today was officially a roller coaster!!! Taylor and I woke to bad news...her counts had dropped even lower. She was not going home and we were both devastated with the news!!! We had decided I would go home to spend some time with Savannah and I would see Taylor tomorrow after work. Her counts had dropped so significantly I was thinking she would not even come home on Monday...so we were very disappointed. After talking with her oncologist about her numbers (some of them were way off and very confusing), I headed out for my day with Savannah. The oncologist agreed that the numbers were very strange but assured me there was nothing to be concerned about. She mentioned that leukemia kids bounce up and down in their numbers and it is to be expected. She also mentioned that one of her counts was so "off" that she was going to have Taylor's blood re-drawn and have it run again.

So...you can imagine my surprise when Grandma called me at 3:00 and said "Taylor can go home!!" I couldn't believe it and was so surprised. I spoke to the oncologist and when they re-did her blood counts, they were at an acceptable level and she was free to go. Basically what happened was that there was a "lab error" on her initial draw and the numbers were NOT correct. So.....even though she got to go home, she didn't get out of PCH until about 4:30. Every minute/hour counts when you are on a break so I was a little annoyed. But....she is home!!!! That is all that matters.

So, Sean, Grandma, Taylor, Savannah, and I all enjoyed dinner and watching the girls run and play tonight. I am not sure how long our break is...won't know more until tomorrow when I talk to the doctor. Taylor is thrilled and is fast asleep in her own bed!!!

I will post more when I know what our plan is for the week......we are home!!!

Love,
Kristen

9 comments:

  1. Sooo glad for you guys!! Enjoy every minute!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! Yeah! Yeah! I am so happy for you. I guess there is no rhyme or reason for these levels...so interesting. Anyway, she is home and sleeping in her own bed...how wonderful! I pray that the doctor will say she can be home for awhile. In the meantime, enjoy every minute my friend!

    Have a great week.
    Hearts Connected
    xoxox
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are all home! We are thinking about you! How is the eating going? Was she able to have her favorite dish you had mentioned on a previous post?
    Anthony, Sarah, Beckham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Carly saw Tay through the door and can't stop saying how cute she is, she really loves your girls. So glad she's home. If you need anything, let me know. I can do mundane too, I'm a good mundane task person. Love, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful news! Yeah Taylor-great job! I can only imagine how much fun the girls are having playing with eachother in their OWN house! Keep enjoying it, this break is so important for ALL of your spirits!

    With love,
    Laurie T

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thrilled to hear Taylor is home!

    Lisa Pinkus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Taylor is home! I'm so happy to hear you are all home together. Thinking of you all.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a huge bag of fire cheetos for Taylor..! Love, Miss Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right on! A huge smile for your guys! Wishing you a wonderful time together! Lisa

    ReplyDelete