Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo branch:
Project Souza Family
Account number 186-527-1579
Or you can mail a check to
Souza Family
PO Box 28272
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

This blog was created by friends as a way for the Souzas to share Taylor's progress with us. Kristen and Sean have not asked for financial help, but their medical bills coupled with Kristen's loss of income is truly overwhelming. They are so appreciative of ALL of the different types of support they have received and are more grateful than you can know. Thank you!
Taylor is a beautiful, vibrant three-year-old girl who was recently diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. On June 18th, Taylor began an 8-10 month hospital stay. This blog will detail her journey back to good health!


Sunday, December 27, 2009

  • Well....the fun has really started!!! Taylor spiked a fever in the middle of the night. Blood cultures were drawn and 3 antibiotics (triples) were started. She woke up feeling terrible. She is absolutely miserable. She lays in bed and moans. She doesn't even want to get up and go to the bathroom. She asked me to put her back in diapers today....she says she hurts too much to get up. After fighting with her this morning, I finally got a dose of Tylenol in her (she hates Tylenol!). She seemed to feel a little better after the Tylenol and wanted to lay on the couch instead of in bed. This only lasted for a short time before she wanted to go back to bed. Her fever started creeping up again and she is hovering around 103. Because of the fever her heart rate is very high....around 184 all day...not good!! She also has gotten mouth sores on her tongue. She has about 5 of them and her tongue is red and swollen. She won't eat because of it and when I forced her to do her mouth care, you could hear hear screaming down the hall. It burns her tongue but it is the only thing that will help heal them. She also has a paper cut on her finger that is red and swollen. Luckily the antibiotics should help heal this also.

For the past 4 rounds whenever she has gotten a fever, no bacteria have ever grown from her cultures. She has always gotten over the fever in a day or so but I just found out that this time, a gram negative bacteria has grown back already. This means she has bacteria in her blood and central lines. Luckily, the antibiotics that she is already on should cover the bacteria. We will know more in the am. For now, she needs to sleep, sleep, sleep. We will most likely give her a dose of morphine tonight for her tongue.

On top of everything with Taylor, Savannah threw up again last night. She continues to cough so I still can not go home and see her. My dad and Sean can also not come down to visit Taylor because of Savannah being sick. This just S-----!!!

Because Taylor's fever's are not controlled and she is positive for bacteria, we will ask that we have no visitors until she gets a little better. With her counts still at zero, it is too risky. Thank you for your understanding.

Last night we only slept for a couple of hours and I have a feeling tonight is going to be just as bad so I am off to crawl into bed with Taylor and try to sleep.

Thanks,
Kristen

14 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear all of this :(

    Hugs to you both!

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kristen, Taylor, Savannah & Sean,

    I hope Taylor & Savannah will be feeling better soon! Hopes for a good night!

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,
    I'm so sorry to hear about everything going on with Taylor and that Savannah is still sick! I am praying that the antibiotics will cover everything and that with a good night's sleep, Taylor will be improving tomorrow. Hang in there and I hope you are getting some sleep too.

    Take Care,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to read all of this is going on right now. We continue to think of you all the time. Emily made Taylor some pictures today that we will send soon. We are praying hard about this infection. Hope you sleep tonight. Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, Sean, Taylor, and Savanna,

    My school and I are really trying to help out Taylor, Taylor and you guys are ALWAYS in our prayers!!!!! If you need anything, give us a ring!!!!
    Talia, Tami, Al, and Mikey :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen, I am so sorry I haven't posted a comment before this. I can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through on a daily basis. Your strength and courage are admirable. As a mother myself, I know I would do absolutely anything for my kids and you truly are doing absolutely everything. You are in my thoughts a lot, even though I haven't reached out until now. We pray for you, Taylor, Savannah and Sean daily. Stay strong and know that you are an amazing mom and human being!!! All our love, Sarah, Brady, Lizzie and Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so upset to hear that this round continues to be so hard for both of you. Everyone I talk to who knows your family is praying for all of this to be over soon and to have you home. If there is anything I can do to make things easier...please let me know. I miss you both! Miss Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen,
    I just read your latest posting... You have been strong and resilient through this entire ordeal. Taylor has battled with the strength of the most courageous adult. The positive blood culture is a set back. However, she has fought through H1N1 and Cdiff. She will come through this as well. While I know that Christmas is a terrible time to go through this let alone with a child, there is light at the end of this tunnel. This should be Taylor's last round of chemo. She is at the lowest point and counts should rise. You can visit with Sean and your father via Skype. It is extremely difficult. But you are strong, stay positive and know that there are many people praying for Taylor.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, jeez...no rest for the weary!

    I just told Nate that Taylor was feeling really, really yucky again and I was about to send you guys a message. This part is directly from Nate, "Taylor, I really, really, really want you to feel better soon. I love you and hope you get better. I really, really, really miss you!"

    I know her energy level is beyond low and you are both just trying to get through each day. If there is anything that MAY make it is little easier please let me know (DVD's, pictures to look at, new chap stick, new nightgown etc.)

    We are so sad that each day continues to get harder for Taylor, you, Savannah, Sean and the rest of your family! Her counts WILL rise, so just keep the faith and keep doing what you do best- loving her!!!!!!

    With love,
    Laurie T and Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so bummed the kids are both sick. little Savannah is struggling so much at home. i only hope and pray that we are on the downward slide and remission is our lifetime friend when Taylor goes hiome in January!!! So tough!!! Sending hugs and love to all!!

    G'ma Renee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristen,

    I have been reading your post and keeping tabs on you, Sean, Savannah, and Taylor. I just want you to know that I have a heavy heart when it comes to you and your family. Each day I have a prayer list and Taylor is at the top. There are a lot of prayer warriors here in Keller, TX that pray for you and your family every day. Taylor's name is included in the prayer list every week at church.

    Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you and stay strong. Amy, Ashtyn, and Abby all say hello! We will continue to pray for Taylor and her health.


    Love ya, -Shayne, Amy, Ashtyn, and Abby Wormsbaker

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my heart aches for you... hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristen,
    I am so sad to read your last post. My heart is breaking for Taylor and your whole family. What makes this situation even worst is that it's the holidays which should be the happiest time of year for children.

    All week I have been praying for a special Christmas wish. . . to help Taylor recover so she can enjoy the holidays as she should. Please let me know if you need anything at all. I will be counting the days until Taylor will be able to go home for a break.

    With love always,
    Jenn, Brad, Addy and Chase

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart aches when I read what your family is having to endure. How I wish there was something that I could do (and I'm sure many feel the same way). We will continue to send many prayers and those good vibes to all of you. Carole

    ReplyDelete