Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo branch:
Project Souza Family
Account number 186-527-1579
Or you can mail a check to
Souza Family
PO Box 28272
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

This blog was created by friends as a way for the Souzas to share Taylor's progress with us. Kristen and Sean have not asked for financial help, but their medical bills coupled with Kristen's loss of income is truly overwhelming. They are so appreciative of ALL of the different types of support they have received and are more grateful than you can know. Thank you!
Taylor is a beautiful, vibrant three-year-old girl who was recently diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. On June 18th, Taylor began an 8-10 month hospital stay. This blog will detail her journey back to good health!


Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hello all - hope you had a great Saturday. There is not a lot of change today. Taylor continues to feel better. She complains that her stomach hurts but then eats ice cream.....so, I think she is fine!!!!

A couple of my friends are running in The Team in Training 1/2 marathons and marathons over the next couple of months. Kerri Gilbertson, Shauna Johnson-Morales, Suzy Hochman, Kelly Grogan, and Chris Woolsey (I hope I have not forgotten anyone....sorry if I did). Chris's marathon is this weekend in San Francisco. He sent out an email a couple of days ago and I was so touched by his compassion and dedication that I asked him if I could share it on the blog. So....here it is:

Dear Family and Friends,

Several months have passed since you last received an email from me regarding my decision to join Team Trevor. If you’re receiving this email now, it’s because you have joined me in the fight against Leukemia – either by sharing personal experiences or by donating to my Team in Training fundraising site or by offering support and encouragement as I train for the upcoming marathon, or all of the above. We’re just a few days away from the marathon, so I thought I would provide you with an update on this journey, including some of the unexpected outcomes experienced along the way.

Fundraising: I will begin by saying how grateful I am to all of you for supporting me over the past several months. Over 90 families have made contributions to my fundraising site for over $6,200. It is an honor to be a part of a group who, in the face of a difficult economy, donated money to help advance the fight against Leukemia. I also wanted to commend those of you who joined the bone marrow registry. Thank you so much for your generosity and thoughtfulness.

Training: Bob (Trevor’s Dad), Ed, and I drove to Sacramento last night for the Team in Training pre-marathon meeting. We pulled into the dark parking lot, parked, got out of the car, and, toasted to a special moment. We had completed a long, hot summer of training. The 15, 18, and 20 mile training runs were behind us. The muscle strain in the back of my knee had been dealt with. I learned how to manage chaffing (not fun), hydration, and the mental complexities of running long distances. So last night we took a moment in that parking lot and acknowledged how far we had come. But that wasn’t what we toasted to. Yesterday was Trevor’s birthday - he would have been three years old. We toasted to Trevor – the reason we were all there. It was a very special moment, one that I will think about as I run the hilly 26.2 mile course in San Francisco this weekend.

The best of us: I read my friend Kristen’s blog every single day. Kristen’s blog tells the story about the daily events that accompany her daughter Taylor’s fight against Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Kristen is incredibly honest in her writing, sharing the intimate details her family experiences each day fighting this disease. Kristen’s writings of hospital life, chemotherapy, measuring blood counts, worrying about infection are similar to the experiences of my good friends Angela and Bob when their Trevor battled AML. What is also similar is the incredible response from the community. In practically every blog entry, Kristen thanks somebody for something special they have done. I am continuously amazed by how people rise to the occasion when challenged; whether it’s the strength and bravery Kristen provides her family or the generosity of support, time, or money offered by friends, family, and even strangers.

I will be running the marathon this weekend knowing that I have the support of a huge team of friends, family, and colleagues – each of you – who made a pledge to help save a life. I will be running the marathon this weekend in your honor, and in the honor of Trevor and Taylor. Thank you.

To all of our friends that our training for these events.....thank you SO much. The money you are raising will hopefully help find a cure for this terrible disease. That all of you would think of training and running on behalf of Taylor means the world to us.

Thank you again to everyone for their support, prayers, donations, and love. We would not have made it through this without out all of you!

Good luck this weekend Chris.....

Love,

Kristen



6 comments:

  1. I have started to comment so many times on your site, but haven't for many reasons. I just seem to deleate them every time I write. We'll see if tonight is different. :) My name is Carrie, and I lost my son, Trevor, almost 3 years ago to AML. His battle was hard and short. He only lasted 2 months, 2 days from the day he was diagnosed. He was 4.
    I read Taylor's blog a few times a week, and am so happy that she is doing so well. My heart aches that another Mom ever has to go through this, but know that I celebrate every good day little Taylor has. She's a fighter, that's for sure. :)
    I guess I'm not fully sure why I'm writing, I guess it's just that I wanted you to know that you have someone in your corner that knows what you are dealing with. Know that I pray for Taylor, and for you and the family. I pray that this battle is as "easy" as possibly can be. And I pray that you have your regular life back as soon as possible. Dear Lord, heal Taylor.
    On a side note, I'm on staff at Cornerstone with Kate's dad, Aaron. Either Holly has mentioned you on her blog or the other way around, I don't really remember. I'm glad that you can be there to support each other a little. Trevor's battle was so harse and short that I never had a chance to have those contacts. Lean on each other.

    Carrie
    carriesw0@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI
    HOWS TAY. I THINK OF HER EVERYDAY, i saw the bike pics they were so cute. We keep praying for her. We love you all. GIVE A KISS TO THE GIRLS FOR ME.
    LOVE,
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for Taylor, crying over Dawson's lost battle, now reading Chris' email - all great reasons I joined the bone marrrow registry in June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love you guys hope this round is better for her. We are keeping her in our prayers.give tay a kiss!!!!!!!

    WITH ALL MY LOVE,
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Souza Family,

    Chris's letter was so inspiring. It's amazing watching people take such tragedies in their life, and turing that energy into something so positive. Thank you for sharing!

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen - This came in a daily email I get. It seems meant for you:
    DAILY QUOTE
    Reach boldly for the miracle. God knows your gifts, your hindrances, and the condition you’re in at every moment.
    Bruce Wilkinson

    Keep hanging in there. I am praying for all of you.
    Love,
    Karen DeWitt

    ReplyDelete