Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo branch:
Project Souza Family
Account number 186-527-1579
Or you can mail a check to
Souza Family
PO Box 28272
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

This blog was created by friends as a way for the Souzas to share Taylor's progress with us. Kristen and Sean have not asked for financial help, but their medical bills coupled with Kristen's loss of income is truly overwhelming. They are so appreciative of ALL of the different types of support they have received and are more grateful than you can know. Thank you!
Taylor is a beautiful, vibrant three-year-old girl who was recently diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. On June 18th, Taylor began an 8-10 month hospital stay. This blog will detail her journey back to good health!


Friday, October 23, 2009

TFIG - Taylor had a decent day today. She was very tired and she complained of a stomach ache all day. She ate, but not much. A couple of bites only at breakfast and lunch but did ok with dinner. She is much more tired than before....I think it is a combination of the chemo and Influenza. Her poor little body has just had enough.

She start a new chemotherapy tomorrow. It is one that she hasn't had before and the dosage is high. The most common side effect are liver problems and cardiac problems. So...as you can imagine, that is enough to really freak me out. They will monitor her liver closely during treatment. She will receive this chemo for 4 days. She had an EKG and ECHO done to get a baseline for heart function. This will be checked again during this round to make sure there was no damage to her heart. The chemo is bright blue and there is also a chance the whites of her eyes will turn yellow from the chemo. Her urine will also turn blue. I have worried about this chemo all day. Sometimes I just ask myself what we are doing.......the side effects of these drugs scare me as much as the leukemia does!!! The problem is what other choice do I have....she has to have the chemo.

Although Taylor had a good day and was in a good mood, I couldn't stop worrying about Elijah......I am so scared for his family. Bone marrow transplant is now my worst nightmare. I think about it all the time. I know there are MANY successful transplants but all I can seem to think about is the ones that have not gone well. I just pray that we will not go to transplant....it really scares me.

I am planning on going home for the day tomorrow to be with Savannah. I just miss her so much. I will come back and sleep again at the hospital. I don't like to leave while Taylor is getting her chemo. Papa (my dad) is in town and surprised Taylor and I at the hospital tonight. She was SOOOO excited and can't wait to see him again tomorrow. Two of Taylor's RN's from the second floor stopped down tonight.....thank you both so much....you made her day!!!!

So...day 3 is done. Hopefully Day 4 will go smoothly.

Have a great weekend,
Kristen

4 comments:

  1. Kristen,
    My heart aches for you. I am so sorry that you, Taylor, Savannah, Sean are going through this. I wish there was something I could do. I pray every night for you guys. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you everyday. Love, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen,

    I am continually amazed by your strength and your honesty. Thank you for sharing so much on this blog...I hope writing it offers you a little bit of peace each day.

    I hope that Taylor takes the new chemo without any issues. Enjoy your time with Savannah and your dad!!!

    Sending as much love as possible,
    Laurie T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,
    I hope the new chemo is not too hard on Taylor and that you can avoid a bone marrow transplant. You have been so strong throughout all of this and Taylor is the luckiest girl in the world to have parents like you and Sean.

    We will be praying for a successful and uneventful round 4 for sweet Taylor!!! Hope you can both get some rest.

    Lifting you up in prayer,
    Liz O-Takeda, CO

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Elijah is in our prayers too!

    ReplyDelete