Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo branch:
Project Souza Family
Account number 186-527-1579
Or you can mail a check to
Souza Family
PO Box 28272
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

This blog was created by friends as a way for the Souzas to share Taylor's progress with us. Kristen and Sean have not asked for financial help, but their medical bills coupled with Kristen's loss of income is truly overwhelming. They are so appreciative of ALL of the different types of support they have received and are more grateful than you can know. Thank you!
Taylor is a beautiful, vibrant three-year-old girl who was recently diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. On June 18th, Taylor began an 8-10 month hospital stay. This blog will detail her journey back to good health!


Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Can't even think straight today...am so frustrated and exhausted. Today was crazy. I spent the majority of the day dealing with insurance issues. Because our insurance and Aetna no longer have a contract, things are getting very difficult. We are hoping to get things resolved soon but today was very stressful....

Taylor was still have stomach problems this morning. She has really bad diarrhea that is uncontrollable. She had accidents all morning and is extremely upset about this. She is so upset that she is having "accidents". So.....we sent a sample down today to be tested and I just got the results. Not good news.....Taylor tested positive for C-difficile. C-diff is a bacteria that lives in the stomach. When Taylor came down with fevers a couple of weeks ago, she was put on 3 antibiotics to treat any possible infection. Even though her blood cultures showed no infection, they continue on with the antibiotics because her immune system is so compromised. She is down to 1 antibiotic that she will continue on with until her blood counts recover. Because she has been antibiotics for so long, it has actually caused her good bacteria in her stomach to be destroyed and C-diff has grown. This causes extreme diarrhea and nausea (which she has been complaining about for awhile now). So.....she will go on another antibiotic to treat the c-diff. This antibiotic will be taken 4 times/day for 14 days. Taylor testing positive for c-diff is not good...her counts came up a little today but only to 10.....she is still pretty much at zero. They are thinking we have at least 7 - 10 more days in the hospital. It just seems like everything has happened this round.....

I also left today to take Savannah to her 4 year well check today. Her appointment went well except for the 4 immunizations she had to get. It was all I could do to watch her get the immunizations......I have had enough watching my children get poked and cry.

Thank you all for your encouraging messages since my post last night. I really appreciate the support. Things are just really piling up right now.......I am having a tough time this round. I continue to wish that I could be lying in the hospital bed instead of Taylor. This truly is too much for any child to endure.....it is just not fair. I so wish it were me and not her.....

9 comments:

  1. Stay strong! You are so amazing! You are on the tail end of this crappy round and then you both get a break...hang in there!
    love,krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin-
    It is always so hard to see our children have difficulties. Know that we continue to pray for you all and that the anti-biotics will give you the break you both so richly deserve.
    Love-
    Steve and Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kristen,

    What a rough battle this has been. We are just continuing to pray that Taylor's counts jump and you guys are out of there soon. I was so happy to hear your voice yesterday, we really miss you and think about you all the time. Love from S. Florida Kelly and Carly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen,
    I am so sorry that everything seems to be piling up on you this go around! We are praying for Taylor's counts to jump, so you guys can have a break! I just want you to know that so many people are thinking about Taylor, you, Sean and Savannah EVERYDAY. You are in our prayers and I hope today is a better day.

    God bless,
    Liz Olmstead-Takeda, CO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there! Love you guys!
    The Gilbertson's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen, I love that you update your blog regularly, but strongly feel you are underutilizing the word "sucks"!

    This sucks!

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thinking of you constantly. You are so strong and always amaze me. I so wish there was something else I could do. I pray for you guys all the time!!! Hang in there!!!! -Cindy Moering

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are an amazing team! More stuff keeps getting thrown at the Souza's and you push on! 7-10 days...take it one day at a time, those counts will rise, the insurance will get you an answer, Taylor's tummy will heal and most importantly you both WILL go home to a complete family and SPACE!!!

    I thank you for being so honest and open on this blog, I love you all!!! Hopefully Taylor is up for a quick story tomorrow!

    With love and strength,
    Laurie T and family

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will keep my fingers crossed that you get to be home for Christmas, and if you need my for anything, I will be around through the Eve of Christmas Eve. Hugs and Kisses! Miss you! Jamie

    ReplyDelete