Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo branch:
Project Souza Family
Account number 186-527-1579
Or you can mail a check to
Souza Family
PO Box 28272
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

This blog was created by friends as a way for the Souzas to share Taylor's progress with us. Kristen and Sean have not asked for financial help, but their medical bills coupled with Kristen's loss of income is truly overwhelming. They are so appreciative of ALL of the different types of support they have received and are more grateful than you can know. Thank you!
Taylor is a beautiful, vibrant three-year-old girl who was recently diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. On June 18th, Taylor began an 8-10 month hospital stay. This blog will detail her journey back to good health!


Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What started out as a normal day at PCH turned into one of the scariest days of my life. Taylor needed a platelet transfusion today. Her platelet levels were extremely low and she had even had a small amount of spontaneous bleeding from her gums in her mouth. We had some issues with the blood bank not having the exact match to transfuse her with so her transfusion was put off until this afternoon. Finally after waiting, the oncologists decided that we needed to go ahead and transfuse her with platelets that were not an exact match. We have had to do this once before and Taylor did fine with her transfusion. Taylor was pre-medicated with Tylenol and Benadryl prior to the transfusion. The RN stayed in the room with Taylor and I while she was being transfused for the first 15 minutes (if someone is going to have a reaction it usually happens within the first 15 minutes) and Taylor was doing well. All of a sudden, Taylor started coughing horribly and started vomiting. She vomited quite a bit and could not stop coughing. Within seconds, a rash started spreading all over her body. I called the RN in immediately and while she was here, Taylor started having trouble breathing. Either her tongue was swelling up or her throat was swelling up. I don't think I have ever been so scared in my life. Her oncology team was immediately in her room and more Benadryl was given. They also gave her a large dose of steroids to help with the reaction. With in about 30 minutes ( the longest 30 minutes I have ever experienced) she started breathing better and the rash started getting better. Throughout the ordeal, she was only able to whisper and could not talk normally. Finally, she was able to talk (but only very quietly). After about another 30 minutes Taylor was back to normal. She was very tired but was wanting to watch TV and order dinner. She ate pretty well and watched a movie. It was like nothing ever happened!!! She is so amazingly resilient....it is unbelievable. She is sound asleep right now. The plan for the night is to continue with Benadryl every 6 hours. There is also a chance that when the steroids wear off (around 3:00 am) she could have another reaction. So....she will be watched extremely close all night ( no sleep for me!!) If she does have another reaction, more steroids will be given. Please, please pray for Taylor tonight. I truly can't explain how scary today was. Please pray for no more reactions to the platelet transfusion.

Tomorrow is their birthday......4 years old. She is very excited. I have a huge surprise for the girls tomorrow but will post about that tomorrow.

For tonight, I am mentally drained....will post tomorrow.

Please pray for Taylor.

8 comments:

  1. Kristen!! oh my gosh!!! What a scary and unbelievable experience. I just want to hug you so much right now. I am so sorry for the fear and concern you faced today. Gosh...what else!!!! I pray that she does not react again and that perhaps you can get some sleep though I know you will have one eye open the whole night. Taylor Happy Birthday my little friend!!!! I can't believe you are 4 years old...wow!!! I hope you and Savannah enjoy your day tomorrow. xoxoxox
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart hurts for both of you, what a scare! Hope all goes well tonight and wish the girls a very happy birthday from hannah and me!
    xoxo
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie McCullagh-SiegelNovember 10, 2009 at 10:23 PM

    Kristen - what a scary day! I am sorry I wasn't there for physical support, but I probably would have been a mess myself. Before your eventful episode, I had fun visiting with you and Taylor. She looks fantastic! Maggie and Molly were both quite jealous that I got to visit. Happy Birthday to your girls and we hope you all enjoy the day. It is definitely a day to celebrate! Take care - Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen,
    I am so sorry to hear about Taylor's platelet transfusion reaction! I can't even imagine how hard that must have been as a parent! I am praying that she did not have another reaction during the night. I know you are exhausted! A HUGE Happy Birthday wish is being sent from Colorado. I hope the day is uneventful as far as medical things and that you all can celebrate your two wonderful little girls! :)

    God Bless,
    Liz Olmstead-Takeda, CO

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart just aches to read about what you all have to go through each day. Can't imagine.... We keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers every day. Happy birthday to Taylor and Savannah and prayers for a complete and fast recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh Kristin, How scary! Words seem so small, I want you to know that we are behind you guys every step every day. Love and kisses to the girls especially on their birthday! We miss them so much. Kelly and Carly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen-
    I am so sorry that you had such a scary day...no parent should have to endure what you have. You are amazing! we continue to keep you all in our prayers! Happy Bday to Taylor and Savannah!
    Krista
    ps.someday I will get to the hospital!!Still waiting on Caitlyn's results:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen-
    I can't believe all that you guys have been thru, what a scare! I can't imagine how scary that was for you and Sean! I really can't believe how amazing and strong little Tay is!! Eating popcorn 30min after all that watching Barbie! She is a super star! You've got 2 amazing little girls-correctin BIG girls! 4 years old today! Happy Happy Birthday to them!! Time flies...I still remember visiting you when you brought them home from the hospital...how tiny they were I was afraid to hold them...now look at them! I hope they enjoy this special day and are able to see each other! I hope all their Birthday Wishes come true!!! Can't wait to hear what the suprise is!!!
    XOXO
    Jess

    ReplyDelete