Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo branch:
Project Souza Family
Account number 186-527-1579
Or you can mail a check to
Souza Family
PO Box 28272
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

This blog was created by friends as a way for the Souzas to share Taylor's progress with us. Kristen and Sean have not asked for financial help, but their medical bills coupled with Kristen's loss of income is truly overwhelming. They are so appreciative of ALL of the different types of support they have received and are more grateful than you can know. Thank you!
Taylor is a beautiful, vibrant three-year-old girl who was recently diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. On June 18th, Taylor began an 8-10 month hospital stay. This blog will detail her journey back to good health!


Monday, January 4, 2010

Once again there is alot going on with Taylor. It started last night around 10:00 when her RN went to give medication in one of her lumens. Taylor has a double lumen broviac which means her central line has 2 lines to give medication. When her RN went to give her medication in one of her lumens it had gone bad and could not be used. Taylor is receiving so many medications right now that they have to be able to access both lines. The IV team was called and they were able to repair the lumen without having to replace the entire Broviac....good news. It took a long time and we were not able to get to bed until around 2:00 am. Then we were back up again around 3:00 because she spiked another fever and she needed Tylenol. So...it was a long night.

Today was much of the same - fevers, belly pain, diarrhea and retaining of fluid. There is some good news. All of the test that they ran yesterday (Influenza, RSV, C-diff, parasites, fungal studies, etc) are all negative. Taylor's blood pressures have also stabilized which is awesome news. The doctors also feel that she is less likely to go septic at this point. This could all change very quickly but they feel that she is more stable at this point.

So...the question remains why is Taylor on Day 10 of fevers and severe belly pain? Why is she retaining fluid? The answer that I received today was most likely because she is SO severely compromised from all of the chemotherapy that her body is having a really hard time recovering. They do think that this is somewhat "normal" for AML and from the strong doses of chemotherapy that she has received over the last 6 1/2 months. All I can do is pray they are right because watching Taylor over the last 10 days be so sick has been absolutely excruciating.

I am trying to focus on today being a little better but as I watched Taylor receive another platelet transfusion, beg for pain medication, have severe diarrhea, and cry because she still feels so "yucky" it is hard to be positive. But...I try....

I am off to get some sleep. I have only had about 5 hours over the last couple of days...

8 comments:

  1. Kristen-I'm glad that all of the tests came back negative for Taylor...get some rest and hopefully tomorrow will bring some improvement. Hang in there!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I know how difficult it must be to stay positive during this time. I also know how strong and amazing you are and you will some how get through this. Please know that you have so many people praying for you, Taylor and your family. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Taylor, I hope that you are feeling better soon! You have so many people that love you.

    Heather Atendido

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kristen, I hope you are sleeping soundly right now and Tay too! No doubt the last 10 days have been horrible, actually the last 7 mths have been. I am hoping you wake up to a better day tomorrow. I have to believe that your happy ending to all this is just around the corner.
    I'm hoping to get to see Savannah Thursday...I miss that little chica. Hang in there friend-you have been so strong and I know it's helping Tay!!
    XOXO
    Jess
    BIG BIG HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray for nothing but a good night sleep for you and Taylor tonight...sleep away my friend. I hope tomorrow brings better news. You both continue to amaze me beyond words.

    xoxo
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope you and Taylor are off in a dream land of sleep with nothing but wonderful, peaceful dreams for both of you. We are all hoping that when you wake up from your sleep that today will be a better day and tomorrow even better than that. Hang in there, all of you. Certainly, things will start changing for the better soon. Carole B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope this good news continues to be an every day occurence and you both got some much deserved rest/sleep. Praying that each day Taylor continues to improve - even if it is just a little at a time. Focus on the good stuff. Hang in there. Merilee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there Kristen. I hope Taylor continues to show little (or big!) signs of improvement each day. Try to get some sleep and know we're praying for you guys. Love from Montana, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are both resting comfortably now... I'm so sorry to hear about all the stress you and Taylor are under right now. Praying things take a turn for the better SOON!

    ReplyDelete