Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo branch:
Project Souza Family
Account number 186-527-1579
Or you can mail a check to
Souza Family
PO Box 28272
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

This blog was created by friends as a way for the Souzas to share Taylor's progress with us. Kristen and Sean have not asked for financial help, but their medical bills coupled with Kristen's loss of income is truly overwhelming. They are so appreciative of ALL of the different types of support they have received and are more grateful than you can know. Thank you!
Taylor is a beautiful, vibrant three-year-old girl who was recently diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the blood and bone marrow. On June 18th, Taylor began an 8-10 month hospital stay. This blog will detail her journey back to good health!


Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day 5 of chemo and the effects of the chemo are really starting to hit Taylor. Her appetite is gone, we are back to 1 or 2 bites/meal. I think she is also beginning to get a couple of sores in her mouth. They are just starting to pop through. One of the problems is that she refuses to rinse her mouth with "Biotene." This is to help not get mouth sores but she HATES the peppermint taste. I did it tonight to show her and I will continue to work with her on it....

After being home for 24 hours, I can tell her hair is starting to fall out again. I also noticed that her eye lashes seem a lot thinner to me. This is all to be expected.

She is still able to go to the playroom every day so that helps. Savannah came down with me tonight and the girls painted for awhile. Taylor had a couple of really bad meltdowns because Savannah was getting too much attention from Mommy. It is so hard because Taylor wants all my attention after I come back but Savannah never sees me so she wants all of my attention also.....what to do??!!

I am hoping the last 3 days of chemo for this round go well....keep your fingers crossed!!

Have a great Monday
Love,
Kristen

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Kristen. It can't be easy being pulled in so many different directions. We will keep praying that this round ends well:)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing the best you can (and a mighty fine job at that)! Don't beat yourself up over sharing the attention; kids that age will always fight for more attention, even if you weren't in the crazy situation you are in. Nate gets jealous of Allie and I am around them both the same amount. You are doing an AMAZING job balancing it all!

    I hope the sores don't get any worse and these final days of chemo go well. I love that Taylor had such FUN visitors today!!! If Taylor stays well enough for visitors I'd love to come and see her again this week. My nails need some new polish! :-)

    Love to you all,
    Laurie T

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of cindy's friendsJuly 27, 2009 at 7:59 AM

    our prayers are still with you and your family! sending love,
    kathy (cindy's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kristen,

    It has got to be so difficult to watch these changes happen with Taylor...I can't imagine what this must feel like. You are doing the BEST that you can so don't ever be hard on yourself! As you know, we are all here for a shoulder if you need it! I am so sorry that Taylor is not feeling well...I just hope that somehow, someway she understands the need for the mounth rinse...I will pray for that.

    Taylor, your Mommy told me that she told you about the marathon I am doing for you! I went to my first meeting on Saturday and told everybody your name and about what you are going through. All of my new friends are thinking about you and praying for you too! Each day I run, I think of you.

    I know you feel yucky Princess Taylor, but do your best to keep smiling!

    Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen:
    Hi, It's Kristine Schafer. It is hard to believe that your family's lives have been so drastically changed in just a few days. I read your entire blog and cried through much of it. It sounds like each day has it's trials and tribulations. I just want you to know that since I've learned of Taylor's illness, I've prayed for your entire family every day. I imagine you are in as much pain, although a different kind, as your sweet princess is. Balancing both girls has got to be difficult but somewhat rewarding to you, at the same time. They are both beautiful babies. You have a long road ahead but it sounds like you, Sean and Savannah are surrounded by good doctors, friends, faith and family. I wish I could help you in some way. I promise continued prayers. Take care, just wanted you to know I was thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart goes out to Taylor. She is such a beautiful, brave, strong little girl. She just has to know that everyone is trying to help make her all better and soon she'll be able to come home for good and get back to a normal life for a kid. Tell her she is loved and we say prayers every night for her.

    Secret and Callysta can't wait to meet Taylor and Savannah!

    Carole Eisner

    ReplyDelete